Tuesday, December 30, 2014

California Vacation (Days 1 and 2)

(June 21-22, 2014)

We finally made a Randall extended family vacation happen. Both Jeff and Leslie’s families thought it was time to head back to Disneyland and we were more than happy to oblige, even though we just went in September the year before. Jeff was able to get two extra villas in Newport Beach at a sweet Marriott time share. It was an incredibly nice thing to do so that we could all stay in the same place for the 5 days we were together. We even convinced Mark’s parents to join us.

Because part of the vacation included Disneyland, I asked my mom if she wanted to join in the fun, again. She has been with us the last two trips to Disneyland. I didn’t have to twist her arm too much to have her join us. This time she would only come to the park two of the three days, though.

We left on Friday, June 20th and drove as far as Mesquite to pick up my mom. We headed the rest of the way to California Saturday morning.  Since we were planning to stay in California longer than my mom, she drove her car and Calista wanted to drive with her. My mom said she was great company and talked a mile a minute. I’m sure Calista helped her stay awake the whole trip.

We stopped in Barstow for lunch at El Pollo Loco and came outside to find a lovely flat tire on the van.

IMG_2124

The not-so-funny part of this is that two days before we left I got two new tires put on the van. We were being watched over for sure, though. This could have happened while driving 75 mph and could have turned out differently. Another tender mercy was that my mom drove in a separate car. We would have had to either bum a ride from someone or call AAA to help us get to a tire store. Mark made quick work of getting the tire off the van and he, my mom and the girls all headed to a nearby tire store.

I stayed behind to watch the car. Just to remind you all who are actually reading this, it’s June…in Barstow. Which means H-O-T! It was 107 degrees that day. I had to sit outside since I couldn’t see the car from inside the restaurant and I wanted to make sure no one parked next to the van to make it harder for Mark to get the new tire put on. They all made it back within 25 minutes or so and we were back on the road with only an hour delay.

We made it to San Clemente where we were staying that night with my aunt and uncle. We love hanging out with Phil and Dianne. They love our kids like their own grandkids and they are always more than willing to open up the ‘Woolley B&B’ for us any time we need it. My cousins all made it over for dinner that night so we could catch up and so our kids could play with theirs. I’m still kicking myself that I didn’t take pictures.

Sunday was the day we were all to meet up in Newport Beach at the Marriott Villas. Such a beautiful place. We split up our big group of 18 between three villas. Here are a few pictures of what they looked like.

Kitchen and living room area.

IMG_2129

Living room.

IMG_2132

Master bedroom.

IMG_2134

And a beautiful view from the patio. I could see a tiny sliver of my ocean.

IMG_2135

I should mention that this was our anniversary day as well. We didn’t need anything special that day since we knew the next day we were Disneyland bound!

No comments: