Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Sufferings of a Five Year-Old

Why is it that we have to purposely put our children through pain? It's the hardest thing for a parent to watch. Especially when they are crying "no more, no more!" Today was Téa's Kindergarten physical and with that comes four, yes count them...four! shots. Everything went great when the nurse checked her eye site, hearing, weight and height. Then we came into the exam room and the nurse pricked her finger to get a blood sample to test her iron. Téa was brave and didn't even flinch. Then the nurse left and Téa told me that her finger being pricked really hurt and her eyes started to water. I felt awful. I completely forgot about the finger pricking. Luckily Dax had his shots a month ago and told Téa all about them and Meghan warned me what they did. I completely forgot about the finger pricking and so Téa had no warning. She's been talking about the shots for over a month and how she will try to be brave and not cry but if she cried that she still would be a brave girl. I kept telling her it was fine to cry and we would go get Cold Stone ice cream after the ordeal.

So after the finger pricking she said she didn't want anymore shots so I spent the next few minutes telling her whatever would make her feel better and the distractions worked. The doctor came in a few minutes later and checked everything else and she is a very healthy five year-old. Then came the nurse with the shots. Téa was very brave until after the first shot. She was so shocked at the pain that she wouldn't let the nurse give her the second one in her right arm. She said she didn't want them anymore because they really hurt. It was so awful because the second shot was in the back of her arm in the fleshy, sensitive part. It about killed me. Then the nurse had to do two more in the left arm. Again, one of them was in the really fleshy part. Calista just stood there in the middle of the room not knowing what to do. She didn't like seeing her big sister crying hard and asking for the nurse to stop. Being the mother I wanted to deck the nurse for causing the pain but I held back. The protective instinct was kicking in.

We made it through the ordeal, though. The ice cream did the trick and Téa told me that she had an even better idea that would help her forget about the pain. She said "Mom, if I don't look at the band aids I don't even feel my shots anymore." Good girl. Out of site, out of mind. I felt better after ice cream too. And if I don't look at her band aids I don't hurt either.

If anyone is curious Téa is 44 lbs. and 44.5 inches tall. She's 73% for weight and 83% for height.

5 comments:

Misty said...

Oh so sad! It must be tough when they can actually verbalize (no more...no more!) what they don't want done....wow...break your heart!

Julianne said...

Why didn't they do the shots in her legs?? Braden got his shots for Kindergarten and they told me it didn't hurt as much if they did his legs rather than his arms. When it's Calista turn in a few years have them give her the shots in her legs because Braden didn't even cry and he isn't tough by any means. Poor Tea! What a tough girl!

megship said...

Oh, I am soooo sorry! It was the WORST, wasn't it???? It seriously breaks your heart! Hey, at least she is all done! On to Kindergarten!

Kerrilyn said...

That sounds about as fun as finding a turd in the punch bowl (not very fun at all). I am glad she recovered. Cold Stone is definitely the cure all. Glad to know she is healthy and on her way into Kindergarten. You might want to start preparing yourself for that right now....I heard it's a bugger to get through....you'll be wishing you could go back to shots.

Nash said...

NEVER had to do a physical for my kids to go to school. I like to do my own shot schedule, no more than two at a time.
Poor girl, and it's that much harder when you are pregnant and emotional.
Good Luck TOMORROW!