Saturday, March 7, 2015
Rex Lee Run 2015
In order for kids to get 'in shape' for Trek the Trek leaders asked the kids to complete some pretty simple physical tasks. We're talking things like 'walk 20 minutes every day' or 'walk to get the mail'. Not very taxing, right? To make things a little more exciting than just walking around the block a few times Téa, and her best friend Hannah decided to complete a 5k race. It just so happened that the Rex Lee Run, put on by BYU was coming up in a few weeks. Perfect timing! Téa asked if I would run the race with her and Hannah. Of course I wanted to. Perfect mother/daughter/friend activity.
Hannah and Téa ran a few times together in the few weeks leading up to the race. They loved having that extra time together to train. The morning of the race came and these girls were so excited. I'm not sure they slept much the night before.
We got there early enough to check in and get our bib numbers. They aren't excited at all, right?
The Rex Lee Run Against Cancer is a way BYU raises money for cancer research, in honor of Rex E. Lee, a former BYU president who died of the disease. The race staff set up a booth where you could write a name down of someone on a racing bib who has battled, or is battling cancer. Téa loved this and immediately thought of her great aunt, Lady Di (Dianne) and ran in her honor.
All smiles before the race. It was cold but we survived! At least there was no snow. You just never know in Utah in March.
We got to meet Cosmo.
Yes, we take lots of pictures. It helped that Hannah's mom came as well and wanted to play photographer.
I was so proud of the girls. They never stopped during the entire run and they did a great job of finishing strong. I challenged them to sprint the last half mile. They rocked it! We had our after-race snacks, perused the free t-shirt booths and then ran into Natalie from Studio C.
She and a few other Studio C actors were there as well but I could tell they didn't want people lining up for photo ops. I don't blame them. Natalie was cool enough to say yes when I asked if the girls could meet her. If you asked the girls which was more fun, the race or meeting Natalie they couldn't decide. These girls had so much fun but man, they LOVE Studio C.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment