Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Random Jan.-Feb. post

While Mark was gone in China in January I sent him a little message on the ice rink.  I had to make shoveling fun somehow. 

IMG_1345

My mom came to help out during the same January trip.  Piper loves her Nonna. 

IMG_1347

Calista had a huge milestone happen back in January as well.  She got contacts!  She had been asking for contacts for about a year before we finally gave in.  The optometrist said he doesn’t usually try contacts on kids under the age of 9 but he said he would make an exception for Calista because it was her idea and not the parent’s idea.  Here she is getting her eye stuck by the doctor’s fingers as he put the contacts in.  She acted like it was no big deal.  My eyes were watering just watching her. 

IMG_1397

And here she is after.  She loved them instantly. 

IMG_1399

We had a follow up appointment with the doctor a week later to make sure everything was working out ok.  The doctor suggested we buy the daily contacts.  I’m so glad we did.  Every day she opens a new pair and throws them away at night.  No need to worry about cleaning them each night or losing one of them.  We also ended up buying a year’s supply of contacts at once since it was such a good deal.  It’s been 4 months now and Calista hasn’t had any problems and she puts them in like a pro.  I still have a hard time watching her do it. 

In February my parents came through Utah so we got to spend a few hours hanging out with them.  Papa and Piper started playing thumb wars and I couldn’t resist taking a picture of the huge difference in sizes of hands. 

IMG_1411

Then we moved on to feet.  Papa’s got big feet. 

IMG_1413

This picture is totally random but we were eating at Zupa’s one night and we realized the girls were all wearing Marin hand-me-down clothes.  This happens a lot.  We are super lucky to have cousins close by who like to give us their too-small clothes.  And it helps that she has good taste.

IMG_1418

Unfortunately, our ice rink gave up the ghost on February 21.  We hadn’t been able to skate on it for probably four or five days before this date but the 21st was the day I finally broke through the think layer of ice and starting pumping out the water underneath.  I’m pretty sure I cried a few tears.  We had so much fun this winter on that rink.  Next year’s ice rink will be bigger and better.  Mark has already worked on the modifications in his Excel spreadsheet. 

IMG_1426

IMG_1430

Each night the top layer of the rink would refreeze between the big chunks I broke up.  The patterns were really cool. 

IMG_1434

IMG_1439

No comments: