Summer ended way too quickly and school decided to start on Aug. 20!
Piper started 1st grade. Can’t believe my baby is at school all day. She did a great job acclimating, though. Better than expected.
Calista is now a big 4th grader. Crazy.
Téa started her last year at Elementary School. She loves 6th grade. She has the best teacher and has learned so much already.
We ran out of time to take a picture of all the girls together on the first day so the girls humored me the next morning.
The big news in our family is that the girls got to start their first day of school the same day I got to start my first day at my new job in over 11 years! I’m still getting used to the idea. I had been thinking over the last few months about going back to work since the girls would be gone all day at school. I needed something part-time that would work around school holidays. Well, the only job you can find that fits that description is at a school.
I inquired at the end of May about job openings at my kid’s school and left my name and number with the secretary. I didn’t think anything would pan out but I got a call from the principle the end of July asking if I would come in and talk about a position. Turns out she wanted to hire me as a workroom aid. It couldn’t have been a better fit for me. I would work 5.5 hours every day, get school holidays and summers off. Also, if I really needed to miss work because of a sick kid at home, that wouldn’t be a problem. Seriously? It was perfect! I know this job was an answer to my prayers. I didn’t need to go back to work but I also didn’t want to sit around the house all day. All of my big concerns about working again have been put to rest with this job.
When I’m not in the workroom, I’m out on the playground during lunch recess as a duty guard. I get to wear an orange vest, fanny pack filled with band aids, scissors, Kleenex and pink slips (the bad kind) and a walkie talkie. Pretty sweet deal, right?
I get to see my kids every day while I’m at work. They love seeing me there and give me hugs every time they see me. There are a lot of other things I do for my job, but the majority of the time I’m making copies or working on projects for teachers and being a duty guard for lunch recess. I’ve got 1100 students I ‘get’ to referee five days a week. Yikes!
No comments:
Post a Comment