Sunday, July 7, 2013

Happy 5th Birthday to Piper!

This little firecracker turned 5 today.

DSC00892

Since her birthday was on a Sunday we had her friend party yesterday.  She chose a luau theme which turned out to be awesome.  We all had so much fun at the party.  It turned out to be one of those parties that went really smoothly and the allotted time was perfect. 

The nice thing about having a summer birthday is the luau party supply selection at the Dollar Store.  I was able to find grass skirts and cool water bottles. 

DSC00820

Mark made a Hawaiian playlist on the iTouch so we could really get in the mood during the shindig.  As Piper’s friends arrived  Téa, Calista and Mark helped to size down their hula skirts (the Dollar Store only had adult sizes). Then Téa and Calista taught the girls a few hula dances.  I was totally impressed with how well these girls moved! 

DSC00823

Once they mastered their hula skills we moved on to making leis.  Good ol’ Pinterest helped me on this one.  I thought it’d be more fun to have the girls make leis instead of buying them.  That way the girls were able to get their craft on!  My awesome friend Jonie offered to cut the flowers on her Silhouette machine.  They turned out perfect!

DSC00830

Here are all the hula beauties! 

DSC00834

Last minute I decided we needed to add a game of pin-the-flower-on-the-hula-girl.  So glad I did.  Piper said it was her favorite part of the party.  I’d like to think it was my mad artist skills that made it awesome.  Here’s how they did.  Not too bad for a group of 5 year olds.

DSC00871

After ‘decorating’ the hula girl it was time for presents and cake. 

DSC00850

Here’s my attempt at a hula girl cake.

DSC00845

The girls gorged themselves on cake and ice cream (all at 11:00 am).  I like being the one to send the kids home on a sugar high that early in the day.  The last game of the party was musical chairs.  There are some party games that just never get old. 

DSC00873

I have to give a big shout out to Téa and Calista.  This party would not have gone as great as it did without them.  Téa cut like 70 straws for the leis the night before.  Calista helped the kids make their leis.  And both girls were awesome helpers with everything. 

When Piper woke up this morning she headed straight for the gifts. 

DSC00878

I have to admit I like Sunday birthdays.  They are mellow and low key.  And we just get to hang out as a family.  We went to church where Piper got up for the first time and bore her testimony.  I’ll admit I was misty eyed.  After church Piper brought me a tray of leftover cupcakes.  Her awesome Primary teachers made cupcakes for the class to celebrate her birthday.  Her teachers even gave her a giant sized coloring book and a sweet little card.  It made her feel super special.  And it made me appreciate how much Piper’s Primary teachers do to teach those little ones, which is not easy!

We ended the day with yet another cupcake just so we could sing ‘happy birthday’ to Piper. 

DSC00893

DSC00894

We love this kid.  I know I’ve said it before but she gives us a run for our money…a lot…ok, most of the time. But she adds so much to our family.  She is head strong and knows what she wants which is not always easy to handle in a little kid.  Those traits will be great when she is all grown up.  So until then I will just have that constant feeling like I’m beating my head against a brick wall.  Happy birthday Pippen!

1 comment:

megship said...

We all need one of these right?? Mace said she had a blast so good job mom! Happy birthday to your little itty bitty baby! I still remember visiting you at the hospital when you had her!