Friday, January 29, 2010

Sisters

There are many days I wish I had a sister. I guess that's why my mom and I are so close; we talk a lot on the phone. I always thought about what it would be like to grow up with a sister. A lot of my friends had sisters and couldn't stand it. Their sisters were always stealing their clothes, fighting with them, had to share a room with them. But now that they are all grown up they are the best of friends, most of the time. I watched Piper the other night take a book to Calista and squish her way onto Calista's lap so she could read a book with her. This was when Mark was in China so I was glad for the little reprieve of having Piper off my lap. But I realized that this moment was the start of what will hopefully become a great relationship of sisterhood. I had to snap a picture so I can show these girls in twenty years how it all started.


On the other hand, I got to grow up with an older brother. I feel sorry for those girls out there who didn't get this opportunity. You see, I have the coolest brother ever. Hands down. Anyway, I didn't post this to have a pity party because I don't have any sisters. I have great girl friends that make up for that. I just had these ideas floating around lately after seeing my daughters playing together. Actually just last night Mark and I checked on the girls before we went to bed and found Calista sleeping on the top bunk in Téa's bed. The night before Téa told me that Calista woke her up and asked if she could sleep with her because she had a "nightmirror". I thought it was cute but you never know what to believe when your kids tell you stories. But when I saw the girls cuddled up together I caught a glimpse of what having a sister means. Téa and Calista can fight with each other all day long. They don't need to use their fists. They use words that hurt (girls are so good at that) and they do it on purpose sometimes. But moments like this where I see that they love each other and Téa is willing to share her bed because her little sister had a nightmare, I see hope that they will grow up to be best friends someday. Sorry for the long, mushy post. This is somewhat of a journal for me.

2 comments:

megship said...

I will tell you this honestly...you DO have a sister. ME! You are as close to a sister as they get and I LOVE YOU!!!

As for the cute pic of Piper and Calista...they look the same size! It is a really cute picture.

Vause Family said...

You do have an awesome brother, but I feel for you on the sister front. You remember Jill and me fighting all the time, but love her now. Always did love her. And thank goodness your girls will have each other. They are such darlings!