Monday, June 22, 2009

Serious Trouble

After laying sod Saturday morning we had family over for lunch and games. In the middle of a game the phone rang and before I could get to it it stopped. Then we heard Téa's pitter patter of feet coming down the stairs to give me the phone. First off I'll tell you I hate it when she answers the phone. Secondly, she must have been in my room because it was my phone she brought down to me. I answer the phone and hear this:

"This is 911 Emergency. Is everything all right? We just got a phone call from this number but the person hung up quickly."

Are you kidding me?

Me: "We're fine. It must have been the kids upstairs playing. I'm so sorry."

911: "As long as everything is fine. You might want to talk with the kids and explain the importance of calling 911."

Me: "Oh, I'll 'talk' to her all right. Thank you, and I apologize again."

I was actually fairly calm as I stomped upstairs. I knew who it was. As I go into my room I calmly ask who called 911 and Nicolas and Calista say Téa, of course. She has learned about 911 from birth. I always had morbid thoughts of me falling in the shower and cracking my head open and having Téa find me and then her not knowing what to do. She also learned about 911 from school. Her immediate response after I explained that they called back because they thought someone needed help was "But I hung up right after I called." Then her next response was "What am I grounded from?" Can you tell we've been having a great summer so far? (Lots of sarcasm here...)

So, sorry Dad, she was one of those callers you used to hate. My dad is a jailer in my home town and years ago he used to give the dispatchers their breaks and have to take 911 calls. He always had funny (to us) stories to tell. There are always people calling 911 for the dumbest reasons. On I-15 there are huge billboards now that say something along the lines of only use 911 in an emergency. I guess I need to show Téa that billboard. I'm just really glad they didn't send an officer over to check...or maybe they should have to scare the crap out of my daughter to not do it ever again. Maybe I should have my friend's husband come over someday in his uniform with his big scary police dog to talk to her. What do you think Kerri?

P.S. She did get grounded from something. Don't you worry.


2 comments:

Kerrilyn said...

aaahhh....911 hang ups...every officers favorite thing. Say the word and I'll send Keith over. Be glad she didn't leave the phone off the hook or something or you would have had a visit for sure.
Your yard is looking so nice. It is hard work, but so worth it. I can't wait to see updates. You probably already know this, but when you start planting your bushes and stuff don't plant them too close to begin with just to fill in the space. It's tempting (at least it was for me), but it does grow rather quickly and you will just end up transplanting the next year.

M. Harrison said...

Oh, that is hillarious! I'm just getting updated on all the posts and this one was great. My little brother did that when he was being tended by my Grandma. They had it programed into their speed dial and he got ahold of it. The next thing you know, there is an officer at the door and he is quite adamant that he be let in and he wanted to search the whole house. So, my Grandma had her whole house search to make sure that she was not being held against her will when in actuality it was just my little brother being a little grabby. :)