Monday, April 20, 2015

Téa's N.O.V.A. Graduation

During Téa's sixth grade school year, Officer Marshall, of the Lehi City Police Department came in to the school once a week for 15 weeks to teach the kids about the harmful affects of illegal drugs, violence, and negative media exposure. The program they use is called N.O.V.A. (Nurturing youth to seek out positive Opportunities, internalize good Values, and to accept Accountability for their choices in life). NOVA Principles reminds me of the DARE program I did in fifth grade. I don't have any great pictures but I wanted to document Téa's graduation from the N.O.V.A. program.



Téa is the blur in the black shirt and green skirt. She received her N.O.V.A. pin from Officer Marshall and shook hands with all the sixth grade teachers and the principle.


Téa loved the program and all the kids had a great time getting to know Officer Marshall. I think it helps kids to get to know officers so they can see they aren't just the bad cops that bust people. They are people who love their jobs and are trying their best to protect and educate the public. I spoke with Officer Marshall a few times at the school since I work there and he said this program was his favorite part of his week. He loves educating the kids and helping them figure out what kind of person they want to be and how to get there.

No comments: