Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Téa’s Baptism, Calista’s Recital

I think I’m finally recovered from the first week in June.  It was crazy with preparations for Téa’s baptism and Calista’s dance recital.  Friday, June 3 was the last day of school.  It was also the day family flew in to town for the weekend for the baptism. 

Téa and I drove to the airport to pick up my brother, Darron and his son, Isaac.  Since his flight was later than expected we decided to just hang out in Salt Lake until my mom’s flight came in a few hours later rather than driving to the airport twice.  We headed to Temple Square and decided to have a guided tour through the Conference Center.  It was fun to see it but even more fun just to hang out with my brother.  For a while the tour guide assumed we were married, even after we told her Téa and I lived in Lehi and Darron and Isaac in Washington.  Hello?  Darron and I look alike.  I just happen to have long hair.  Anyway.  It was funny.

After the Conference Center and dinner we picked up my mom and headed back home.  Bright and early Saturday morning was the baptism.  There were two sessions for our stake.  Luckily we had the early one.  I don’t know how many kids were being baptized in the second sessions but we had 9 in ours.  And since our ward was in charge of conducting our ward was last to go to the font. 

DSC08013

I think we prepared Téa enough that she wasn’t nervous.  I had a lot of emotions going on that day.  I was so proud of Téa for making the choice to be baptized.  I was also so proud to have Mark be able to baptize her.  What a great example he is and what a great father and husband. 

I didn’t get many pictures of the day even though I kept telling myself not to forget.  At least we have one family picture all together.

DSC08015

We had so many friends and family come.  Some who I haven’t seen in years.  It means so much to have that support and I know Téa was so happy to have everyone there.  We did miss a few people who couldn’t make it but we know they were thinking of her.

After the baptism was lunch at our house and some time to relax and visit with everyone.  I was able to breathe easier after lunch started and enjoy being with everyone.  I was stressed out about getting everything just perfect for the baptism and the luncheon.  I think everything turned out great thanks to family helping out. 

After lunch it was time to focus on Calista and make the rest of the day her special day.  I was so focused on Téa for weeks on getting things ready for the baptism that when I found out Calista’s recital was going to be the same day I just wanted to cry.  But Mark helped me realize it was doable and there was no need to stress (right…me not stress?).

Calista had specific instructions from the dance studio on how she should look for her recital.  We had the costume which was the easy part.  What stressed me out was this: she had to have full costume make up which includes eye shadow, mascara, blush, RED lipstick and curly, curly, curly hair with half put up in a ponytail.  Just for the record I don’t even own three-fourths of that makeup.  Anyway, Mark had the brilliant idea to hand all that over to my nieces. 

So, here they are working their magic with a curling iron and lots and lots and lots of hairspray.

DSC08023

She was so patient.  I think she felt really special having all the attention from her cousins.  The finished product…

DSC08032

Calista said she wants her hair to be curly like this every day.  I’ve had numerous friends who wished they could have straight hair every day.  Guess we want what we don’t have, right?  Movin’ on…

Here’s Calista waiting in the locker room for her turn on stage.  This is her friend Lauren who we carpool with.  I might add that I did do the make up and I hated every minute of it.  My sweet 5 year old does not need to be wearing more makeup than I do.

DSC08038

Here she is after she danced.  Her performance was to a song called “Shake Your Tail Feathers”.

DSC08043

I hate to brag (well, not really) but Calista was one of the best dancers out there.  She has made such an improvement from her Christmas recital.  In six months she went from watching the other girls and copying what they were doing to being the one who the others copied off.  I might be biased and I mostly just watched her, but she was great!  She was on beat and didn’t miss a step.  It’s kind of become a tradition to get her flowers after her performances.  She loves flowers.  I feel bad for the boys she dates in the future and her future husband.  $$$

And this is Calista on the way home in the car.

SSPX0133

The recital didn’t start until 7 pm and we didn’t get home until almost 9.  She was tuckered out.  I have to say I was too.  It was a long day.

1 comment:

Vause Family said...

Love that I finally got to see the end product for the dance recital. That was such a fun day! Thank you for letting us be a part of it!